4th Merrimack County jail officer indicted

CONCORD, N.H.—Another Merrimack County jail officer has been indicted on charges of assaulting an inmate.

Twenty-nine-year-old Aaron Little of Franklin was indicted on two assault charges. The indictment alleges he fractured a 59-year-old inmate’s leg and hip in March.

Little is the fourth jail officer indicted since February 2007 on assault charges. One officer was convicted of assault in May. Charges against two others are pending.

source: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/06/24/4th_merrimack_county_jail_officer_indicted/?rss_id=Boston.com+–+Latest+news

Merrimack County jail officer sentenced to a month in jail

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) _ A Merrimack County jail guard has been sentenced to a month in jail for assaulting an inmate.

The prosecutor said sending 43-year-old Shawn Cunningham of Franklin to jail would send a message to Cunningham and to others who work in jails and prisons who think assaults against inmates will go unpunished.

Judge Michael Sullivan sentenced Cunningham to a year in jail, with all but one month suspended. As long as Cunningham completes an anger management course, stays away from his victim, performs community service and stays out of trouble while in jail, he will likely serve only 20 days.
source:  http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080520/NEWS0201/557678367/-1/FosNEWS0409

County jail officer convicted of assaulting inmate

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A Merrimack County jail officer has been convicted of assaulting an inmate two years ago.

Forty-three-year-old Shawn Cunningham was convicted on Monday for shoving the inmate from behind and for knocking him to the ground. He was acquitted on a third charge.

Cunningham did not dispute that he had pushed and wrestled with the inmate, who had been arrested for drunken driving. But Cunningham argued that his actions were justified given the circumstances and the possible risks the inmate posed to Cunningham and another inmate.

A video of the incident was shown repeatedly during the trial. County Attorney Dan St. Hilaire said he thinks the video made the case easy for the jurors to understand.

source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NH_GUARD_CONVICTED_NHOL-?SITE=RIPRJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Ex-prison guard considers plea deal in N.H. assault cases

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) – Prosecutors say a former prison sergeant convicted of assaulting two female inmates is considering a plea agreement to resolve the remaining charges against him.

Douglas Tower was charged in 2006 with 53 counts of rape, sexual assault and physical assault involve 13 female inmates at the Shea Farm halfway house in Concord. He has been convicted of assaulting two women and sentenced to 20 to 40 years in prison, but there are 11 cases still pending.

The attorney general’s office says it offered Tower a plea bargain before the second case went to trial and that Tower has asked for a new offer. The terms of the possible deal have not been disclosed.

source: http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8268158

Older stories can be found under Sites of interest

Under the old cosgoingwrong link On the right side of the home page.

start

02/28/08